Hey! My name is Hans
I’m a Computer Science Ph.D. candidate at Stanford University supervised by Professor Zakir Durumeric and researching in the Empirical Security Research Group. I am supported by the Meta PhD Research Fellowship, the National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship and the Stanford University EDGE Fellowship. I am broadly interested in disinformation, computer security, privacy, statistics, networks, and machine learning. I completed two Masters’ degrees in Computer Science and in Statistics with the Daniel M. Sachs Scholarship at the University of Oxford. I completed my undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering at Princeton University.
Download Full Academic CV Here
Outside of research, I do disinformation reporting with the Atlantic Council’s Digital Forensic Research Lab. For fun, I enjoy performing stand-up comedy, listening to UK rhythm and blues music, marathon running, and learning Mandarin Chinese (HSK4).
I also have a blog The Margin of Error where I talk about my research, computational looks at different economic and political issues, and a ton of other topics! You can subscribe here.
- Preprint of Machine-Made Media: Monitoring the Mobilization of Machine-Generated Articles on Misinformation and Mainstream News Websites
- Awarded Meta PhD Research Fellowship in Computational Social Science
- A Golden Age: Conspiracy Theories’ Relationship with Misinformation Outlets, News Media, and the Wider Internet was accepted to CSCW 2023!
- Gave 2023 Keynote Commencement Address at Montverde Academy
- Poster accepted on Narrative Strains across Different Language Ecoystems around the Russia-Ukrainian conflict accepted at 40th annual meeting of the Political Methodology Society
- Will be on the Panel “Mechanisms of Domination?: State Sponsored Information and Media Ecosystems” at 119th American Political Science Association Annual Meeting.
- Preprint of Sub-Standards and Mal-Practices: Misinformation’s Role in Insular, Polarized, and Toxic Interactions
- Preprint of Partial Mobilization: Tracking Multilingual Information Flows Amongst Russian Media Outlets and Telegram
- Happenstance: Utilizing Semantic Search to Track Russian State Media Narratives about the Russo-Ukrainian War On Reddit was accepted to ICWSM 2023!
- ‘A Special Operation’: A Quantitative Approach to Dissecting and Comparing Different Media Ecoystems’ Coverage of the Russo-Ukrainian War was accepted to ICWSM 2023!