I’m a Computer Science Ph.D. candidate at Stanford University supervised by Professor Zakir Durumeric and researching in the Empirical Security Research Group. I am supported by the Meta PhD Research Fellowship, the National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship and the Stanford University EDGE Fellowship. I am broadly interested in disinformation, computer security, networks, and natural language processing. I completed two Masters’ degrees in Computer Science and in Statistics with the Daniel M. Sachs Scholarship at the University of Oxford. I completed my undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering at Princeton University.
Outside of research, I do disinformation reporting with the Atlantic Council’s Digital Forensic Research Lab. For fun, I enjoy performing stand-up comedy, listening to UK rhythm and blues music, marathon running, and learning Mandarin Chinese (HSK4).
If you are an undergrad or master’s student at Stanford and are interested in doing research in the misinformation space, please email me at hhanley at stanford dot edu.
- Narratives of Foreign Media Ecosystems in Chinese Social Media Discussions of the Russo-Ukrainian War accepted for In-Person Presentation at 74th ICA Conference!
- Machine-Made Media: Monitoring the Mobilization of Machine-Generated Articles on Misinformation and Mainstream News Websites accepted to ICWSM 2024!
- Specious Sites: Tracking the Spread and Sway of Spurious News Stories at Scale accepted to 45th IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy!
- TATA: Stance Detection via Topic-Agnostic and Topic-Aware Embeddings accepted to the Main Proceedings of EMNLP 2023! See you in Singapore!
- I am TAing CS265: Randomized Algorithms and Probabilistic Analysis at Stanford.
- Preprint of Twits, Toxic Tweets, and Tribal Tendencies: Trends in Politically Polarized Posts on Twitter
- Partial Mobilization: Tracking Multilingual Information Flows Amongst Russian Media Outlets and Telegram was accepted to ICWSM 2024!
- Awarded Meta PhD Research Fellowship in Computational Social Science
- A Golden Age: Conspiracy Theories’ Relationship with Misinformation Outlets, News Media, and the Wider Internet was accepted to CSCW 2023!
- Gave 2023 Keynote Commencement Address at Montverde Academy
- Poster ``Narrative Strains across Different Language Ecosystems around the Russia-Ukrainian conflict’’ accepted at 40th annual meeting of the Political Methodology Society
- Will be on the Panel “Mechanisms of Domination?: State Sponsored Information and Media Ecosystems” at 119th American Political Science Association Annual Meeting.
- Preprint of Sub-Standards and Mal-Practices: Misinformation’s Role in Insular, Polarized, and Toxic Interactions
- Happenstance: Utilizing Semantic Search to Track Russian State Media Narratives about the Russo-Ukrainian War On Reddit was accepted to ICWSM 2023!
- ‘A Special Operation’: A Quantitative Approach to Dissecting and Comparing Different Media Ecoystems’ Coverage of the Russo-Ukrainian War was accepted to ICWSM 2023!